Studies have shown on average 80% of all carpet dirt is dry dirt and regular vacuuming helps to remove the majority of these soil components along with pet hair, dander, food crumbs, outdoor pollen and other miscellaneous dust and grime. Vacuuming with a machine that includes a brush roller works to lift and pull the dirt and other particles from the carpet fibers. If dirt remains underneath the carpet fibers, over time it will break down, eventually attracting dust mites and becoming a breeding ground for bacteria, both which can trigger health concerns, especially in people with asthma and allergies.
Dirt attracts dirt. And this is especially true if the dirt harbors oily components. Dirt tracked in on the bottom of shoes and pet paws can bring in harmful bacteria. The longer between vacuuming, especially on carpets in high traffic patterns, pushes this dirt and bacteria down into the carpet fibers, making it more difficult to completely remove. This is also true of loose pet hair which may include dander, flea dirt and fecal matter. Can’t get that pet hair off the carpet no matter how many times you run the vacuum over it? Try this handy tip from Bob Vila.
How often should you be vacuuming?
- High traffic areas including interior hallways, dens, playrooms and bedrooms should be vacuumed every few days. Not only will this eliminate dirt and germs but it will help keep the carpet fibers from becoming matted down.
- If you have pets try to vacuum daily in order to remove allergy causing dander along with potentially harmful outdoor dirt and debris.
- Rooms that are used infrequently such as formal dining rooms and guest bedrooms can be vacuumed once or twice a month.
Helpful tips for reducing dirt.
- Get everyone in the household in the habit of removing their shoes upon entering. If that isn’t possible then install heavy duty doormats both inside and out at all exterior doors.
- Keep outside porches, decks and walkways swept so there will be less debris available to track inside.
- Promptly clean up all food and drink spills and all pet messes. This reduces airborne dust and pollen from settling on the area and also lessens the chances of staining.
Carpet questions? Pro Carpet Repairs has the answers. Connect with us today by calling 864-569-9366, or simply fill out our convenient and safe online form. Pro Carpet Repairs: here when you need us.