Depending on the color and texture of your carpet it may be hard to tell how dirty it really is. Then one day you move a piece of furniture or wipe up a spill and realize you can’t remember the last time your carpets were professionally cleaned.
Why a Yearly Carpet Cleaning?
After much research The Carpet and Rug Institute recommends having your carpets cleaned every 12 to 18 months depending on your particular circumstances, e.g., the number of pets you have, the number of children and their ages, your lifestyle, how much entertaining you do, etc. etc. But also, keep in mind this number is nothing more than a suggestion; your personal preference may be bi-yearly or even quarterly cleanings.
Advantages to Regular Professional Carpet Cleanings
- Over time grime, dirt and dust becomes ground into your carpet’s fibers causing them to compress, become matted and look tired and worn. While vacuuming helps control surface dirt, a professional cleaning gets deep into the fibers, removing the buildup and leaving your home looking, feeling and smelling much cleaner.
- In addition to dirt, carpet also traps pet dander, dust mites and other allergens. Breathing conditions including asthma, chronic cough and even snoring will benefit by frequent vacuuming and also from regular deep carpet cleanings. In fact, the American Lung Association has a page on their website discussing carpeting and the impact it can have on lung health.
- Did your dog have an accident and even though it’s been thoroughly cleaned, you still catch a whiff of the odor? It’s probably your carpet. Spilled coffee and red wine, cigarette smoke and pet urine are some of the worst odor offenders. Professional cleaning companies have industrial sanitizing products that don’t mask the odors but remove the source of the smell. And no your home won’t smell like a car air fresher; many of these products are odor free so all you notice is a fresh clean scent.
- Regular professional cleanings can reduce the chance of mold and mildew growth. It only takes a couple of warm rainy humid days for mold to become a pesky houseguest that doesn’t want to leave. Also wet shoes and puppy paws can track moisture into carpeted rooms. This dampness often sinks down into the carpet fibers creating another area for mold to grow and thrive.
- Finally, yearly professional carpet cleaning can omit many of the problems caused by DIY carpet cleanings. Professional carpet cleaning services have industrial machines and cleaning products along with the knowledge and experience to do the job properly. Tough stain removal, soil retardant, pet odor eradication and anti-microbial treatments are some of the more popular options offered. DIY machines often malfunction leaving puddles of water on the carpeting. If this moisture isn’t promptly removed, you can end up with mold, mildew, unpleasant odors and damaged subflooring. Professional carpet cleaning also provides a faster drying time.